After weeks of uncertainty,legal actionand public scrutiny, Yonwaba Nabhanti-Mfeya can finally breathe again. The 21-year-old final-year student at Walter Sisulu University has officially registered for her diploma in building technology after the Eastern Cape office of the premier confirmed that her outstanding bursarydebt, which had blocked her registration, would be paid. Nabhanti-Mfeya was among 30 students who were unable to register this year after a bursary promised by the Eastern Cape office of the premier was not paid.
In her case, the unpaid funding left her saddled with a debt of R148,000, placing her academic future in jeopardy. The university had made it clear that unless the office of the premier settled the outstanding amount, she would not be permitted to register for her final year. With no alternative, Nabhanti-Mfeya turned to the courts.
Shortly after the story was published, her legal team received confirmation from the office of the premier that the debt would be settled. “I heard on Thursday that my debt has been settled, but I was waiting for proof of payment,” she said. Earlier this week, her legal team confirmed that payment had been processed, clearing the way for her to proceed with registration.
Read Full Article on Daily Dispatch
[paywall]
“I am on cloud nine. It feels like a lot of stress has been removed from my shoulders and also my parents’. I’m going to claim residence today (Wednesday), and I’ll be moving in if possible,” she said.
In an email to the university, the office of the premier confirmed: “Kindly note that this serves as confirmation that the Office of the Premier, through MerSETA, will fund Ms Yonwaba Nabhanti for the academic year 2026 for a capped amount not exceeding R180,000, which covers tuition and registration, accommodation, books and meals. We are humbly requesting that the student be allowed to register to ensure she is not missing out on classes.”
[/paywall]
All Zim News – Bringing you the latest news and updates.