Mutsvangwa brushes Chinamasa asideImage from Mutsvangwa brushes Chinamasa aside

Zanu PF spokesperson, Christopher Mutsvangwa yesterday insinuated that the party’s legal secretary Patrick Chinamasa was expressing his personal opinion when he claimed that five people have been co-opted into the central committee The different positions taken by Mutsvangwa and Chinamasa on the co-option of businessman Kudakwashe Tagwirei has exposed the worsening factionalism in Zanu PF fuelled by disagreements over President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s succession Chinamasa on Friday told the state controlled media that Tagwirei and other three party members co-opted from Harare, Mashonaland West and Matabeleland North provinces were already central committee members The former Justice minister had earlier in the week posted on X, which he later pulled it down and reposted late in the night claiming the co-options were done a done deal

“Don’t you think it’s best to check with him I am sure you may have all the more questions you may have for him,” Mutsvangwa said when he was asked for his reaction to Chinamasa’s statements Further quizzed on the party position on the matter, Mutsvangwa said: “I am Zanu PF spokesperson “I will surely not speak for Chinamasa

“My import is to speak for the party and its president Would you need his cell contacts?”

Chinamasa was not answering his mobile phone last week and yesterday despite repeated efforts Harare province attempted to co-opt Tagwirei, but Vice President Constantino Chiwenga blocked the move during a central committee meeting citing procedural violations Tagwirei has in the past denied allegations that he angling to succeed Mnangagwa

His cooption into the central committee is being opposed by a faction loyal to Chiwenga, who for a long time had been considered to be Mnangagwa’s obvious successor Despite a push by a faction loyal to Mnangagwa for him to hang on to power until 2030, the 82 year-old ruler has insisted that he will retire when his constitutionally guaranteed to two terms end in 2028 Source: The Standard Zimbabwe

All Zim News

All Zim News is a central hub for all things Zimbabwean, curating news from across the country so no story is missed Alongside aggregation, our team of nationwide reporters provides real-time, on-the-ground coverage

Stay informed and connected — reach us at admin@allzimnews.com.

Source: Thestandard

By Hope