Zimbabwe News Update
📅 Published: August 18, 2025
📰 Source: newzimbabwe
Curated by AllZimNews.com
📅 Published: August 18, 2025
📰 Source: newzimbabwe
Curated by AllZimNews.com
But on Monday, as negotiations were set to resume, the M23 said its representatives were not present in Qatar.
M23 spokesperson Lawrence Kanyuka told the BBC’s Great Lakes service that the Congolese government “doesn’t want peace”.
He accused the authorities of not respecting the provisions contained in the ceasefire deal, but DR Congo’s military denies this charge.
Kanyuka alleged that government forces had continued to attack rebel positions, despite the agreement stating that both sides must refrain from assaults.
However, the Congolese armed forces accused the M23 of launching attacks almost daily in the North Kivu and South Kivu provinces.
The Qatar peace deal was supposed to be signed by Monday.
On Sunday, an unnamed official from Qatar told the AFP news agency that a draft agreement had been shared with DR Congo and the M23.
The agreement runs alongside a peace deal between DR Congo and Rwanda, which was brokered by the US in June.
DR Congo, the UN and numerous Western powers have accused Rwanda of backing the M23.
Despite participating in the Washington peace talks, Rwanda has long denied the allegations against it.
The Washington peace deal, hailed by President Donald Trump as a “glorious triumph”,could grant the US access to DR Congo’s vast mineral wealth.
However, it is the latest in a long line of failed peace deals in the region.
📖 Continue Reading
This is a preview of the full article. To read the complete story, click the button below to visit newzimbabwe.
🔗 Read Full Article on newzimbabwe
AllZimNews aggregates content from various trusted sources to keep you informed.
📰 Source:
newzimbabwe
Aggregated by AllZimNews – Your trusted source for Zimbabwe news