Zimbabwe News Update

🇿🇼 Published: 18 February 2026
📘 Source: Daily Dispatch

One of the suspects accused of involvement in the Lusikisiki massacre has testified that police allegedly beat and tortured him, forcing him to implicate himself in the murders. Siphosoxolo Myekethe’s attorney, Fuzile Ngxukumeshe, told the Mthatha High Court sitting in Lusikisiki his client was subjected to severe torture by police during his interrogation. Myekethe said as a result he implicated himself in the murders.

The state disputes these allegations, with the arresting officer, Detective Sergeant Sibulele Yali of the serious and violent crimes unit testifying that Myekethe was treated fairly and made his statement voluntarily. Eighteen people — 15 women, a 13-year-old boy, and two men — were shot dead when gunmen attacked the neighbouring homesteads of sisters Mary Sinqina and Nancy Sinqina-Mhatu in Ngobozana village, Lusikisiki, on September 28, 2024. Ngxukumeshe told judge Richard Brooks his client was severely tortured.

“A plastic bag [was] put over his head and he was suffocated while he had his hands handcuffed behind his back. Another police officer pushed the handcuffs down with [his] boots. “He will tell this court he was told to lift up his leg and indicate that he was ready to talk.

📖 Continue Reading
This is a preview of the full article. To read the complete story, click the button below.

Read Full Article on Daily Dispatch

AllZimNews aggregates content from various trusted sources to keep you informed.

[paywall]

It was due to that torture that he implicated himself in the offences.“ He said Yali had allegedly slapped Myekethe in the face. “You said that he will tell the truth and that you don’t take s**t.” Yali denied the allegation — or that Myekethe had been tortured at all.

[/paywall]

📰 Article Attribution
Originally published by Daily Dispatch • February 18, 2026

Powered by
AllZimNews

All Zim News – Bringing you the latest news and updates.

By Hope