Source: Injured nurse’s plight exposes govt neglect – The Standard
A nurse who was left bedridden after suffering life threatening injuries at work has exposed the neglect of government employees in their hour of need after encountering challenges during their line of duty Progress Muzuva, who was employed by the Health and Child Care ministry and stationed at Bikita rural hospital in Masvingo, sustained severe injuries while on duty seven years ago Muzuva claims she has been abandoned by her employer She said her ordeal began in August 2018 when she was asked to accompany a maternity patient in an ambulance from Bikita Rural Hospital to Silveira Mission Hospital around midnight
During the journey, the patient reportedly became violent, attempted to jump out of the moving ambulance in an apparent suicide attempt, and assaulted both her and the ambulance driver Muzuva’s situation worsened and has been bedridden since then from the injuries sustained during the day The government yesterday said it was treating her case with the seriousness, empathy and transparency it deserves In a statement, the ministry said it remained committed to ensuring that all such similar matters are addressed in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and established procedures
The ministry said following a preliminary assessment of available records, the ministry noted that sick leave documentation for Muzuva was completed and submitted to the relevant government departments for processing It said compensation under the Disability Benefits Act [Chapter 16:05] commenced in October 2024, backdated to 2018, and is being paid monthly to date It stated that as of January 21, 2020, Muzuva was granted government patient status, entitling her to free treatment in public health institutions and that “this status remains in effect to date” The ministry said records showed that Muzuva accessed care at Mpilo Central Hospital, Sally Mugabe Central Hospital, Masvingo Provincial Hospital and Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals, with ambulance services and medical treatment provided as needed, adding that a ministry team has been deployed to assess her current needs and identify additional measures to support her
“Ms Muzuva has since been assessed on August 7, 2025 by a specialist neurosurgeon at Masvingo Provincial Hospital and recommendations for advanced imaging and psychological support have been made and will be undertaken,” the ministry said, adding that medical boards convened in 2020 and 2021 assessed her condition and recommended retirement on medical grounds in July 2021 “The mnistry has since requested the Health Services Commission to consider her latest request “All processes have been undertaken in line with the Health Service Regulations of 2006.”
The ministry said it had a zero-tolerance policy towards the mistreatment of staff or members of the public and in line with this, the Health Service Commission had been asked “to review all aspects of the case to determine whether any misconduct occurred, and appropriate action will be taken should any breaches be confirmed” “The ministry will continue to engage with Ms Muzuva and all relevant institutions to ensure a fair and compassionate resolution, while upholding the principles of accountability, due process, and respect for dignity,” the ministry added
On Tuesday, the Zimbabwe Nurses Association (Zina) said Muzuva’s case is not an isolated incident and demanded an investigation into the matter “Those responsible for this neglect must be held accountable What happened to nurse Muzuva is not an isolated incident; this is just a drop in the ocean,” Zina president Enock Dongo said in a statement “Across Zimbabwe, many nurses are injured while carrying out their duties, some in ambulance accidents while escorting patients, others while lifting immobile patients in wards.”
Related posts:
Zimbabwe sees sharp rise in malaria cases Nkayi agriculture inputs allegedly diverted NSSA’s endless scandals are a betrayal of Zimbabwe’s elderly I’ll personally visit schools to monitor reopening: Minister Insiza North Zanu PF losing candidate concedes defeat
Originally published on Zimbabwe Situation
All Zim News
All Zim News is a central hub for all things Zimbabwean, curating news from across the country so no story is missed
Alongside aggregation, our team of nationwide reporters provides real-time, on-the-ground coverage Stay informed and connected — reach us at admin@allzimnews.com.
Source: Zimbabwesituation