HARARE President Emmerson Mnangagwa has declared the Manyame Bridge crash which claimed the lives ofImage from HARARE President Emmerson Mnangagwa has declared the Manyame Bridge crash which claimed the lives of

HARARE– President Emmerson Mnangagwa has declared the Manyame Bridge crash, which claimed the lives of 17 people, a national disaster and has ordered a sweeping crackdown on reckless driving The president’s directive calls for a unified response from law enforcement and the courts, aimed at curbing the carnage on Zimbabwe’s roads The president expressed his horror at the crash, which occurred on Tuesday along Chitungwiza Road when a South Africa-registered haulage truck collided head-on with a commuter omnibus headed to St Mary’s Witnesses reported that among the deceased were two children and two pedestrians

“The crash… painfully reminds us as a Nation of the multiple hazards which continue to stalk our roads, many of which can easily be prevented through responsible driving and effective enforcement of traffic rules,” Mnangagwa said in a strongly worded statement “We cannot continue to lose lives in this most horrendous way due to sheer recklessness and persistent gaps in law enforcement,” he added According to reports, the truck heading towards Harare veered into the opposite lane on July 22 and collided with the kombi after the driver lost control on the road linking Harare and Seke Before the impact, the truck struck two pedestrians walking on a strip in the middle of the road

Mnangagwa has directed all relevant government institutions, including traffic police and the judiciary, to align their operations to enforce stronger measures without fear or favour He warned that the cost of reckless driving must “outweigh whatever bizarre benefits those responsible think they derive.”

Under the disaster declaration, the government will cover funeral expenses for the deceased and hospital bills for the injured The president’s remarks come as the country prepares to observe Heroes and Defence Forces holidays, prompting him to urge all motorists to exercise extreme caution “Together, and through a shared sense of responsibility, we will tame what has now become a bloody traffic jungle on our roads and thoroughfares,” Mnangagwa said

Meanwhile, on the eve of his death in the horror crash, Rudson Tatenda Sliya, the 25-year-old kombi driver, shared poignant words with his wife, Melissa Bibian Chinyota, 20, revealing his concerns about the uncertainties of his profession Tragically, Tatenda was the only son in a family of four On Monday night, he told Melissa that he intended to use part of his salary at the end of the month to help her start an income-generating project He emphasised the importance of her having a reliable source of income, as there were “no guarantees” in his job

Just hours later, Tatenda was dead An out-of-control haulage truck encroached into the kombi’s lane, slamming into the commuter omnibus and dragging its passengers to their death Melissa is currently expecting their first child The couple had married in December last year

Source: My Zimbabwe

All Zim News

All Zim News is a central hub for all things Zimbabwean, curating news from across the country so no story is missed Alongside aggregation, our team of nationwide reporters provides real-time, on-the-ground coverage Stay informed and connected — reach us at admin@allzimnews.com.

Source: Myzimbabwe

By Hope