A 46-year-old woman from Gamodubu has admitted before the Molepolole Magistrates’ Court to cruelly assaulting her 13-year-old daughter, in a disturbing abuse case that left the child bruised and traumatised. The accused, whose name is withheld to protect the identity of the minor, pleaded guilty to cruel treatment of a child after admitting she brutally beat the teenager and caused bodily harm. Court heard that the abuse came to light on January 12 when the girl’s father, a Metsimotlhabe resident, visited the child in Gamodubu, where she lived with her mother.
During the visit, he overheard the mother shouting that the child “was going to eat more cockroaches” and threatening another beating. Alarmed, the father questioned the teenager, who revealed that she had previously been forced to eat cockroaches and subjected to repeated assaults. The matter was reported to police and the woman was arrested nine days later.
Appearing in court earlier, she initially confessed to the charge and was briefly remanded in police custody to allow authorities to secure alternative accommodation for the child, who has since been relocated to live with her grandmother and is currently receiving counselling. When the matter returned for a facts presentation today, February 16, before Chief Magistrate Thebeetsile Molalu, the prosecution led by Sergeant Thatayaone Marope, submitted a medical report detailing multiple bruises sustained by the child. However, while the accused accepted responsibility for assaulting the girl, she disputed parts of the prosecution’s account.
Read Full Article on Daily News Botswana
[paywall]
She told the court she did not use an electric cable or force the child to eat cockroaches, claiming instead that she used a stick and a curtain rope during the assault. Despite the objections, the accused acknowledged the injuries shown in the medical report and admitted she had no lawful excuse for her actions. Magistrate Molalu ruled that the essential elements of the offence had been satisfied, noting that the woman had effectively admitted to being cruel to the child.
The court consequently committed her as charged, allowing the prosecution to proceed. In mitigation, the accused asked the court for forgiveness, telling the magistrate this was her first offence. She said she was the sole caregiver and breadwinner for the child, although the father provided occasional financial assistance.
She pleaded with the court to avoid imposing a custodial sentence, saying imprisonment would cost her job and leave the family without support. The woman expressed remorse and appealed for mercy. Sentencing has been scheduled for February 19.BOPA
[/paywall]
All Zim News – Bringing you the latest news and updates.