Zimbabwe News Update

🇿🇼 Published: 22 February 2026
📘 Source: The Witness

AfriForum’s section 18(3) application, which was heard in the Free State High Court in Bloemfontein earlier this month, was granted in terms of judgment delivered electronically by Judge M Opperman yesterday. In June 2025, the court ordered the Ngwathe Municipality Council to be dissolved and the provincial government to intervene in the municipality. Since then, the municipality’s application for leave to appeal was dismissed in August 2025.

It then appealed to the Supreme Court of Appeal, but that appeal was also dismissed in October 2025. The municipality has since indicated that it will appeal the judgment in the Constitutional Court. Ngwathe’s executive mayor, in response to the judgment handed down by the Free State Division of the High Court in the matter between Afriforum NPC v Ngwathe Local Municipality and Others (Case no: 2264/2024), said the municipality notes the ruling.

The mayor added that the municipality acknowledges the order granted by the court and said that the judgment is comprehensive, and that the municipality will study it in detail to fully understand its legal implications and the reasoning of the court. “Only once this thorough internal review has been concluded will we be in a position to determine the next appropriate steps, in consultation with our legal representatives.” She assured the community that their primary focus remains on the well-being of residents. “We are acutely aware of our constitutional mandate to provide basic services, and we remain fully committed to fulfilling that mandate.

📖 Continue Reading
This is a preview of the full article. To read the complete story, click the button below.

Read Full Article on The Witness

AllZimNews aggregates content from various trusted sources to keep you informed.

[paywall]

“While legal proceedings have been ongoing, we have consistently worked to maintain services. We will continue to do so. We are committed to cooperating with all relevant stakeholders, including the provincial government, to ensure that the governance of the municipality is strengthened and that the concerns raised by the communities are addressed,” the mayor concluded.

The municipality urged residents to remain calm and allow the legal and governance processes to run their course, adding that it will communicate further once the judgment has been fully processed and a clear path forward determined. It also thanked the community for their patience and continued support as ‘we navigate these complex matters. Our doors remain open, and we encourage constructive engagement with all our communities as we work together to build a better Ngwathe’. Breaking news at your fingertips…Follow Caxton Network News onFacebookand join ourWhatsApp channel.

[/paywall]

📰 Article Attribution
Originally published by The Witness • February 22, 2026

Powered by
AllZimNews

All Zim News – Bringing you the latest news and updates.

By Hope