Gunfire tore through a busy playground in central Mexico, killing two people and wounding eight, authorities said Wednesday, as witnesses recounted a horrifying scene of mothers screaming and children fleeing in panic. The shooting started shortly after dinner time Tuesday in the small town of San Francisco del Rincon, with round after round rifling into a park filled with playing kids. A 36-year-old man died during the attack, and a 24-year-old man later died at a hospital, according to Guanajuato state governor Libia Dennise Garcia.
Several “girls, boys and adolescents were injured,” Garcia said. “I was bathing my little girl when I heard around 20 (shots),” said one mother who asked to remain anonymous for her security. She rushed to see what was happening and saw “the women shouting for their children,” shouting that “there were children.” Bullet holes were visible on the walls of at least one nearby home, and one victim had multiple shards of shrapnel in their back, AFP was told.
Authorities in the town of 80,000 people later said that three of the youngsters had been discharged from the hospital, while five were still receiving medical attention. All the survivors were said to be “out of danger.” Their ages were not given. Residents complained that gang members often gathered in the neighborhood unbothered by police. “With this, there have now been four” shootings nearby, said one neighbor, who also asked for her identity to remain secret.
Read Full Article on The Witness
All Zim News – Bringing you the latest news and updates.