The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) has announced the closure of several high-profile corruption and abuse of office cases. Among these include those involving Solicitor General, Marshal Muchende, and Copperbelt Minister, Elisha Matambo, after investigations found no evidence linking them to wrongdoing. ACC Director-General, Daphne Chabu, said during a media briefing in Lusaka on Thursday that the abuse-of-authority allegations against Muchende had been conclusively investigated and cleared.
She explained that there was no link between him and any alleged bribery involving other officials, prompting the Commission to close the matter. Chabu also confirmed that investigations into suspected corrupt practices involving officials from the Zambia Army and Kenya-based DLS International Limited had been completed. The case centred on a US$21.2 million contract awarded by the Ministry of Defence for the supply of equipment for a level-two mobile hospital in the Central African Republic and for the upgrade of Maina Soko Military Hospital.
She said the investigation established that all equipment under the contract were delivered and received, and that the Maina Soko upgrade was 95 percent complete, leading to the closure of the matter. On the case involving Copperbelt Minister Elisha Matambo, who was accused of possessing high-value motor vehicles suspected to be proceeds of crime, Chabu said the Commission had determined that the vehicles did not belong to him but to another individual who was using his parking yard. Chabu reported that the Commission, through conviction-based and non-conviction-based forfeiture, recovered significant assets in 2025, including US$390,350, K41,425,499 in cash, and land and properties valued at K34,154,000.
Read Full Article on Zambia Monitor
[paywall]
She added that during the same period, the ACC handled 153 cases before the courts, consisting of 122 criminal matters and 31 civil matters. The Commission secured 16 convictions and recorded eight acquittals. Twenty-three new criminal matters commenced, six cases were pending judgment, five were discontinued, 16 were pending appeal, and one non-conviction forfeiture application was instituted.
In 2025, the Commission received 896 reports of suspected corruption. Chabu explained that 493 of these were unrelated to corruption and complainants were guided on how to pursue their cases through relevant institutions.
[/paywall]
All Zim News – Bringing you the latest news and updates.