NEW Government suspends Magunje cement plant project as probe opens a can of wormsImage from NEW Government suspends Magunje cement plant project as probe opens a can of worms
📅 Originally Published: August 04, 2025 | 📰 Source: Herald_Com | This content is aggregated by AllZimNews.com to bring you the latest Zimbabwe news from various sources.

Richard Muponde Zimpapers Politics Hub GOVERNMENT has suspended the Magunje cement project in Hurungwe, Mashonaland West province, amid revelations of alleged procedural irregularities and breaches in land allocation, it has been learnt.The Office of the President and Cabinet (OPC) has since stepped in to restore order.The latest decision follows an investigation led by the Permanent Secretary in the Office of the President and Cabinet responsible for devolution and decentralisation, Engineer Tafadzwa Muguti, after complaints over how the land was allocated to the investor without adherence to legal and administrative processes.Speaking during a high-level engagement meeting held in the province, Eng Muguti said while the Government supports investment, it will not tolerate actions that flout the country’s laws under the guise of development.“We welcome investors in Mashonaland West and across Zimbabwe, but no one should come and operate in a vacuum or bypass established procedures. We don’t have room for an investor who just appears without engaging the Minister of State (for Provincial Affairs and Devolution), the RDC, (rural development council) or relevant line ministries. That is unprocedural and unacceptable,” said Eng Muguti.The cement project, which is reportedly being spearheaded by Liberman, was touted as a major industrial initiative in Magunje.However, traditional leaders and local authorities questioned how the project had been sited on communal land.According to Eng Muguti, the Government has been investigating the matter since September last year.“This issue didn’t start yesterday.

I personally looked into it with Minister (of State Security) Lovemore Matuke last year and directed the province to handle it properly. But after Minister Marian Chombo raised the (red) flag again, it was clear that nothing had been resolved and that things were falling apart,” he said.The land in question, he said, was communal land and, therefore, State land, according to the Communal Land Act.Chiefs, while being custodians, do not have the legal authority to allocate it for commercial use.“Yes, chiefs have jurisdiction over communal land, but only to settle people based on the growth of the population. They cannot, under any circumstances, allocate land for commercial purposes or say ‘all this land under my area is now for this project.’ That is not only improper, it is illegal,” he added.Eng Muguti said potential investors must first secure a Zimbabwe Investment and Development Agency (Zida) licence.After approval, they are directed to engage the Rural District Council (RDC), which, in line with its master plan, will give guidance on local allocation through the Ministry of Local Government and Public Works and, where necessary, the Ministry of Lands.In the case of the Magunje cement project, Eng Muguti said, this was not followed.“There was no Zida licence.

There was no RDC engagement. Even more alarming, no one seems to know the actual physical address of the investor. That tells us this individual was never integrated into the local governance or tax systems.

That’s unacceptable,” he said.Environmental concerns further compounded the issue.The Environmental Management Agency (EMA) allegedly issued an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) certificate without verifying the investor’s legal title to the land, a violation of environmental and investment standards.“EMA, I don’t know what kind of kickback you received, but it is highly improper to grant an EIA to someone who has no legitimate claim to the land. That EIA should never have been issued,” he said.“This dam is used by villagers, the army and Magunje residents. No investor should be allowed to poison it because of shortcuts.

After following the proper channels, EMA should have laid out clear conditions, not issue approvals blindly …“No one is above the law. Even the President pays taxes to his local authority. Why should an anonymous investor operate tax-free and outside Government control?”Following a meeting with Minister Chombo and the ZANU PF provincial leadership, Eng Muguti said the matter was now being referred back to the provincial leadership to determine whether the project should proceed in compliance with legal frameworks.“I told Minister Chombo and the provincial chairperson, if the province wants the project, it must be done properly.

Let’s reach consensus. But if there is crime involved, we arrest, because that’s what the Office of the President and Cabinet does under its mandate,” Mr Muguti declared.“Development is our national agenda, but it must be lawful and transparent. This issue must now be openly discussed and resolved.

The people of Hurungwe are the rightful stakeholders, ndimi vene vacho.”Share on FacebookPost on XFollow usSave

Originally published on Zimbabwe Herald

Source: Zimbabwe Herald

All Zim News

All Zim News is a central hub for all things Zimbabwean, curating news from across the country so no story is missed. Alongside aggregation, our team of nationwide reporters provides real-time, on-the-ground coverage. Stay informed and connected — reach us at admin@allzimnews.com.

By Hope