Zimbabwe News Update

🇿🇼 Published: 10 December 2025
📘 Source: Lusaka Times

Minister of Health Elijah Muchima has expressed disappointment over the threat by the Resident Doctors Association of Zambia (RDAZ) to go on strike on December 19, 2024, over the non-implementation of the recruitment of volunteer doctors. Speaking at a press briefing, Dr. Muchima described the move as unfortunate and urged the affected doctors to engage the government through established formal channels rather than resorting to public demonstrations.

RDAZ president Paul Chibwe announced the planned industrial action, citing the government’s alleged failure to recruit medical personnel as previously promised. In response, Dr. Muchima stated that the government is actively addressing the matter, though the recruitment process is constrained by the available fiscal space.

He clarified that volunteers are not government employees and that participation in voluntary service is a personal choice. “First and foremost, volunteers are not employees, and participation in voluntary work is a personal decision; no one is compelled to do it,” the Minister said. He noted that the ministry had earlier this year discussed the issue with relevant stakeholders and provided clear guidelines and a roadmap forward.

📖 Continue Reading
This is a preview of the full article. To read the complete story, click the button below.

Read Full Article on Lusaka Times

AllZimNews aggregates content from various trusted sources to keep you informed.

[paywall]

Muchima expressed surprise that the association had taken the matter to the media instead of returning to the ministry for an update. He called on the volunteer doctors to return to the negotiating table, emphasizing that government processes involve necessary bureaucratic steps. “To our volunteer doctors, we appreciate and thank you.

However, it is worrying that some are calling for a strike even before being employed. How do we trust such behaviour? We need loyal and committed people as we move forward,” he stated.

The Minister reiterated that the correct procedure is to first engage the government and only declare a formal dispute if the matter remains unresolved. “As things stand, there is no dispute. This Government has been progressive even within the limited fiscal space of 2024,” he said.

Muchima affirmed that the ministry is currently undertaking replacement and recruitment procedures in line with established public service processes. Money for amending a constitution we do not even need is easily found, money to pay lawyers in SA to sue ECLs family is easily found, but money to employ doctors is a challenge

[/paywall]

📰 Article Attribution
Originally published by Lusaka Times • December 10, 2025

Powered by
AllZimNews

By Hope