Peter Matika, [email protected]A BULAWAYO businessman has launched legal action against multiple parties after allegedly being violently assaulted and subsequently defamed at Pottery Industries in Belmont Industrial area on July 16, 2025.Mr Bekezela Moyo, director of Allied Security Company, claims he was attacked by Liam Farley Pieterson (28) and his father, John Farley Pieterson (56), leading to the ongoing legal proceedings.Adding complexity to the case, Mr Moyo has also filed a lawsuit against prominent gold dealer Mouhamed Daka, seeking US$250 000 in damages for allegedly spreading malicious falsehoods about the incident.Liam and John Pieterson appeared before Bulawayo magistrate Mr Takudzwa Gwazemba, who deferred the matter to August 8. The duo was remanded out of custody.Prosecutor Ms Busisiwe Sithole informed the court that Mr Moyo sustained internal injuries during the assault, which took place at Pottery Industries, located at 17 Chester Road, Belmont, Bulawayo.John Farley Pieterson“Liam Farley Pieterson and John Farley Pieterson assaulted Bekezela Moyo by pushing and hitting him with fists all over the body, intending to cause bodily harm,” she said.Ms Sithole explained that on the day in question, Mr Moyo had gone to Pottery Industries to inquire why his employee had been barred from performing his duties as a security guard while gold ore was being processed.Upon arrival, the Pietersons allegedly assaulted Mr Moyo and later circulated a voice note accusing him of armed robbery.“The second accused pushed the complainant, while the first accused grabbed him from behind, removed him from the premises, and assaulted him with fists all over the body,” she said.In response, Mr Moyo, through his lawyer Mr Israel Masamvu, has issued a letter of demand to Mr Daka, seeking an apology and compensation for defamatory damages against both himself and his company.Mr Moyo is demanding US$150 000 in compensation for Allied Security (Pvt) Ltd and US$100 000 for personal damages.Mr Daka is accused of circulating a voice note via WhatsApp, alleging that Mr Moyo attempted to commit armed robbery at Pottery Industries and claiming he is a convicted robber.The letter, seen by this publication, was sent to Mr Daka on July 23, giving him five working days to respond — an ultimatum that has since expired.“Specifically, you alleged that Mr Bekezela Moyo, the owner of Allied Security (PVT) LTD, claims to be a security guy, yet he is a convicted armed robber who has a security company.“These claims are patently false.Our client has never been convicted of armed robbery, and it bears emphasis that the regulatory framework governing the licensing of security guards in Zimbabwe disqualifies any person with a relevant criminal conviction within ten (10) years from obtaining or renewing such a licence,” the letter reads.The letter also notes that Mr Moyo acted in self-defence when attacked by the Pietersons.Mr Daka has since been ordered to issue a full, unconditional, and unequivocal apology to Mr Moyo and Allied Security (Pvt) Ltd.“The apology must clearly state that the contents of your original voice note were false, unfounded, and without any factual basis. It must also specifically state that our clients are not linked to any rogue group of robbers extorting businesspeople.This apology must be posted within five hours of your receipt of this letter, to mitigate the ongoing harm caused by the continued circulation of your defamatory communication.”Share on FacebookPost on XFollow usSave
Originally published on Zimbabwe Herald
Source: Herald