ZIMSEC releases 2025 Grade 7 results, pass rate dips slightly to 48.49 percent

Zimbabwe News Update

šŸ‡æšŸ‡¼ Published: 02 December 2025
šŸ“˜ Source: ZimLive

HARARE – Business couple Clark Clever Makoni and his wife, Beverly Aisha Ndonda Makoni, walked free after the High Court quashed their fraud charges in a scathing judgment that accused a lower court magistrate of ā€œcreating new offencesā€ to keep the pair on trial. The couple had approached the High Court challenging Regional Magistrate Stanford Mambanje’s decision to dismiss their application for discharge on allegations of defrauding former Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe governor Gideon Gono of $100,000, arguing the state’s case was ā€œbarren of evidenceā€ and built on fatally defective charges. In their application, they accused the magistrate of gross misdirection, saying he effectively resuscitated a non-existent case by introducing new particulars of fraud halfway through the trial — allegations never made by prosecutors at the start of proceedings.

Their lawyer, Admire Rubaya, said the conduct amounted to the court ā€œpanel beating the chargeā€ to push the Makonis onto their defence. ā€œThe court cannot, by any stretch of its powers, seek to panel beat the charge for purposes of placing the accused persons onto their defence,ā€ Rubaya submitted. ā€œIt must avoid the temptation of doing the state’s bidding.

It laid its bed, it must lie on it – and never rise from it.ā€ Justice Neville Wamambo Dembure agreed, delivering a sharply-worded ruling that tore into the lower court’s handling of the matter. Dembure said the magistrate had effectively taken over the role of the Prosecutor General by attempting to ā€œreinventā€ the allegations – a fundamental irregularity. ā€œFindings of the magistrates’ court created a new charge for the applicants to face, not what had been placed before the court at the commencement of trial,ā€ the judge said.

šŸ“– Continue Reading
This is a preview of the full article. To read the complete story, click the button below.

Read Full Article on ZimLive

AllZimNews aggregates content from various trusted sources to keep you informed.

[paywall]

ā€œThe court cannot create its own particulars for the accused. That function lies solely with the state as dominus litis.ā€ Ordinarily, he said, superior courts are reluctant to interfere with uncompleted proceedings in the lower courts, but this was ā€œa rare caseā€ in which intervention was unavoidable because of the ā€œdangerous pathā€ taken by the magistrate. The Makonis had been hired by Gono in 2017 to manage a portfolio of 15 properties in Chivhu, later expanded to include properties in Mutare including Valley Lodge (Pvt) Ltd.

The prosecution alleged the couple fraudulently used a false document to alter directorship details of Valley Lodge and seize control of the business and its accounts, prejudicing Gono of ZWL$172 million, which the former central bank chief estimated at around US$100,000. Prosecutors claimed they removed Ayoob Omar and Mohammed Hussein Omar as directors and inserted their own names. But defence lawyers argued the prosecution was nothing more than ā€œa failed fishing expedition,ā€ insisting the state’s own witnesses had confirmed that Valley Lodge’s directorship had remained unchanged since 2009 – a point the court found compelling.

[/paywall]

šŸ“° Article Attribution
Originally published by ZimLive • December 02, 2025

Powered by
AllZimNews

By Hope